BREEAM has certified NH Ribera del Manzanares’ environmental management as ‘Outstanding’, making it the first hotel in the world to achieve this rating. In order to obtain this rating, the hotel was assessed on aspects that range from the building’s specifications and environmental management to its activities and the health and comfort of its users. Specifically, the hotel obtained excellent scores in the following categories: management, health and well-being, energy, transport, water use, materials, waste, ecological land use, pollution and innovation.In Brief
- The hotel is carbon-neutral, has ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 certifications, and undertakes several measures including regular tracking of energy and water usage and the carbon footprint and efficient lighting using LED technology; a tailored materials purchasing policy encompassing environmental metrics; and a biodiversity management plan covering maintenance of the planted outdoor areas.
- First launched in the UK in 1990, BREEAM® (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology) is an environmental assessment method and rating system for buildings, with over 270,000 buildings with certified BREEAM assessment ratings in 63 countries.
- NH Hotel Group is Europe’s third-ranked business hotel chain. It operates close to 400 hotels with almost 60,000 rooms in 29 markets.
- Read the original article on Green Hotelier
- Follow NH on twitter
- Learn more about the Hotel Carbon Measurement Initiative, a project by the International Tourism Partnership, of which NH is a part.