After years with little contact with the outside world, tourism in Burma/Myanmar is growing at a staggering rate. The government is targeting 4.5 million tourists in 2015, five times the number just five years ago. A recent report by the Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business warns that the country is “poorly prepared” to handle this flood of visitors.
- The report suggests developing the country as a “destination for smaller numbers of high-spending tourists looking for an experience that makes Myanmar special.”
- Recent article on Global Post says: “Already in Yangon, the largest and most-visited city, high-end hotels have filled up with more sex workers seeking foreign men.”
- Read the original report from Myanmar Responsible Business here.
- Follow Tourism Transparency, which campaigns for responsible tourism in Myanmar/Burma, on Facebook.
- Read the National League for Democracy (Aung San Suu Kyi’s party) statement on Tourism in Myanmar/Burma